Friday, May 22, 2009

Protecting Your Marriage

I would like to first apologize for my lack of posting the last couple of weeks. Life and spring-time has gotten the best of me :) I must confess, I am a bit of a warm weather lover and cannot help but be outside constantly... Forgive me.

I would next like to thank those who have been emailing me with their experiences on having a "Servant Heart"!! I have been overwhelmed with the wonderful outcomes from many of you!!! I will be requesting permission from some of you to share your stories with everyone over the next few weeks!!! For now, keep the emails coming, and don't let a new post stop you from continuing to serve!!! ( for those who are not aware, the email is posted on the left side of the blog, but I will also write it here. thinking_e@yahoo.com)

Ok, now onto our feature presentation...

I am going to be referring often to a great little book called, "Moments With the Hope Giver" by The Goad Family. Toward the end of the book there is a chapter entitled "Protecting Your Marriage", which has inspired me for this week's post. I would like to share a few excellent points from this chapter. I do truly believe that all of us desire a great marriage and want to protect them!! Here are a few simple things we can do... And simple is great because it is something we can implement immediately!!!

1. Be Each Other's Best Friend:
*Be each other's GREATEST encourager
*Believe in each other
*Build each other up (in other words, uplift and EDIFY!!)
*SERVE each other (I think we covered this last post :)
*Don't take each other for granted
*Laugh often!
2. Have a Deep Commitment
*Get into the deep; don't be commitment lazy
* Honor your spouse in front of your friends!! ( oh, sooooooo HUGE!!!!)
*Commit to a date night once a week and a least two trips a year together!
3. Add Value by Honoring, Appreciating and Esteeming Your Mate
* Don't compare, complain, criticize or compete
*Remember even the little things your spouse does should be appreciated
*EDIFY and build each other up!

I would like to extend the next challenge! This week think of 5 things you love about your spouse and share those with him/her! Also, think about how you show love and admiration to your spouse? What are some new (or improved) ways of doing this??

1 comment:

hailey o said...

Telie, you are always so smart and loving!!! You are absolutely amazing at everything you do!! If I turn out to be 1/4 of the woman you are, I will consider myself to be incredibly lucky! IF...I mean it, IF I ever get married, you are my inspiration for how a respectful and loving wife-and human being- should be. I love you so much, you are my best friend Tel